Half Ironman Course
Swim Course 2kms
The swim course is two laps sited in the inner port harbour area. Swimmers will have a small beach run between laps. The course will run anticlockwise starting on the beach in front of the New Plymouth Yacht club. Swimmers will keep to the right of the course buoys.
Swim Course / Distance 2km. Swim Course Cut off time 1 h 40 min from last groups start time.
The water will be open for warm-ups from 6.30am
|7.30am||Race starts for male swimmers
|7.32am||Race starts for female swimmers
|7.34am||Team race starts
Swimmers will line up in the beach marshal area from 7.00am. Each swim category will enter the water together in a controlled group and will start on the hooter. The swim course will be controlled by Surf Life Saving Taranaki with surf ski and motorised craft in attendance. If during the event you experience difficulty or are beside somebody experiencing difficulty please raise your hand. Swimmers exit the swim course at the start of swim area and proceed to the individuals bike transition or team holding pen area via the barrier gated channel provided.
- Each swimmer must wear the cap provided at registration and start in the correct wave.
- No fins, paddles, snorkels or flotation devices of any kind are permitted other than wetsuits which must be no more than 5mm in thickness.
- Any assistance received during the race may be grounds for disqualification
- Wetsuits are optional,however will be forbidden above 23oc and mandatory below 16oc.
Bike Course 90kms
Click here for map of the bike course
Bike course profile
The course will be well marshalled especially at road intersections. All roads are open to the public so it is important that you stick to the left and exercise care at all times.
- Leaving the Transition area ride down Ocean View Parade turning right into Bayley Road and right into Breakwater Road.
- A left turn into Ngamotu Road is followed by a right into Centennial Drive which becomes Beach Road. Stay on Beach Road until the intersection on Surf Highway 45 where you will take a right turn.
- Travel down Surf Highway 45 passing through the townships of Oakura and Okato proceeding to the bike turn around point just north of Rahotu.
- The route back to the bike finish is the reverse of the course going out. You should see the position of the whole field at some stage of your ride.
Bike Course / Distance 90km out and back course
- Please be aware that although the bike route will be well sign posted and marshalled the roads are open and NZ road rules must be obeyed. Key intersections will be well sign posted and marshalled.
- Drafting penalties will apply for this event. The event is being run as a non drafting race and will be controlled by official Triathlon New Zealand Officials. Stand down will be for 3 mins out on the course. The third drafting offense will result in disqualification. What is drafting?
- We do not want support vehicles out on the course we will have several mobile support motor bikes on the course. You must change any flats yourself and be prepared to pay for new tubes and tyres supplied to you, at race headquarters on completion of the event.
- No wheels will be supplied as we will have support vehicles on the course.
- A race number must be visible on the front of your cycle helmet at all times and a race number fixed to your seat post must be visible on your bike to avoid disqualification.
- We will have bike support stations at at Okato both going out and on the return journey .Electrolyte and water will be available.
- No headsets or ear/head phones are to be worn.
- We will have St Johns personnel mobile on the course and stationed at the start finish area and at the 45km turn around mark.
Run course /Distance 21.1km 3 laps
Click here for map of the run course
- Your run time starts as you cross the timing mat on the seaward side of the start / finish gantry.
- Race numbers must be displayed on the front of runners and must be displayed at all times.
- Note that part of the course will be run on open roads, you will however have a coned channel to run in, and the course will be well marshalled.
- During your run please stay to the left of the cones on the run course, and keep to the left when using the coastal walkway.
- Head phones / headsets are not permitted.
- You will travel up Oceanview Road twice rounding a turnaround sign just short of the finish gantry. The third time you travel up Oceanview parade you willcontinue to the Finish Gantry.
- There will be 4 run support stations on the run, and one at the finish. Support stations located on the course will be at the back of the shopping centre on Whitely Street, Morley St, Bulkeley St crn, at Liardet entrance to the walkway and at the end of the carpark in Kawaroa Park, before Belt Rd. Electrolyte, water, gels and bananas will be available.
- First aiders will be stationed at these feed stations
- Runners must adhere to run instructions, not to do so could result in a 2 minute penalty.
- Participants who withdraw during the race must notify the officials in the timing tent
Teams Rules and general information.
- The Teams start at approximately 7.34.am.
- Team swimmers will hand the team transponder to their bike team member at the bike holding pen.
- On your return team riders bikes will be racked by transition marshalls. Hand the team transponder to your team runner who will stationed inside the runners holding pen.
- The transponder must be worn on the left ankle of each competitor during their leg of the event.
- Team members bikes can be collected after 3.30pm.